Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Youngest art collector

A very cool story I will remember always and worthy of sharing.

I was painting in my booth yesterday when a young family came in to view my art. Mom and daughter when right in while Dad and brother cautiously watched from the main aisle (sidelines). I greeted them and continued working, giving them the space they needed to look.

The daughter went right over to the Petite Series display; (miniature framed art) and says: "I like the top one Mom, I'll pay for it with my money!! It's $55". My little art collector has spoken.

She couldn't reach the top shelf for she was only about 7 years old and under 4 ft, so I went to get it for her so she could see it up close and hold it. Mom goes over to Dad, "She really wants it and wants to spend her money on it, but her purse is in the car."

Mom checks with me that the prices includes the frame and everything and I look at the little one, "This piece is called Faces of the Rodeo, I photograph these horses in Prescott every year." She smiles and slightly rocks back and forth on her feet, holding the piece close to her heart. I ask her: "Is this your very first piece of art?" She shyly shakes her head yes and smiles. I tell her I'm honored by that and how wonderful it is to meet her.

I've always loved children and sometimes connect with them more than adults. How awesome it is that we're two strangers decades apart in age but truly connected with our love for horses. It's what I love about art; the walls come down. Strangers become friends. I will always look back on this unique, beautiful moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment