Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Do you collect art?"

That is the question of the day. Or week, month, I should say. It's a very reasonable question to ask every patron who visits this show, who is interested in my work.

I shouldn't be embarrassed by it, everyone coming through the doors knows the show is full of artists selling their art; it's not a museum. I've done all but ask this question and have received my answers from body language the majority of the time. A few kind souls were gracious enough to share that they were only looking, not art buyers at all and they understood respectfully my position. That is rare. Art can be enjoyed by all, whether they're collectors or not. At the same time, this is my livlihood and I have every right to know who I'm communicating with. I'm patiently waiting for my buyers, and like matchmaking, I'm sure I'll know them when I see them. We are exactly 1/2 way through this show.

The public venue is very colorful, to put it lightly. 97% of the people are very kind in their critique of your work. I have run into a few, however, that, for whatever reason, just choose to be insulting. Maybe they had a quarrel before the show, maybe you represent something they never tried and for the moment, you have a bullseye on your back, kinda like that bully from gradeschool. Somehow you find it in yourself to be diplomatic because truly, their problem doesn't need to become yours.

I think the sweetest comments I've had involve what I've achieved while young. Funny, in art I tend to see the skills people have, age doesn't enter in at all. Heart and passion can bend time, speed it up or slow it down depending on your will. I will share that while exhibiting in the show, I always do my best work. The artists and new friends you make push you in ways you don't even realize may be your strengths. It's like one huge workshop! Until next time-

No comments:

Post a Comment